Home

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Salvaged Wood Shelf

We added a thick wood shelf to the wall with the black bear.  It's only 7"wide and  82"long, so it fit perfectly in that space.
Then I moved the black camelback trunk underneath .
I moved the antique pottery churns to the side of the trunk.
It stores our out of season clothes.
Leaf art.
This is the wall -BEFORE.
This is the wall-AFTER
This is how it started. Our son-in-law, Mike had this piece of wood in his garage. It's a salvage piece from an old bar. He had used most of the wood building a table and had this piece leftover. He knew the scavenger in me would love it. I didn't know exactly where I would use it, but was thinking shelf. He had it sanded in no time so that I could stain it. We loaded it into the van when we left New Jersey. 
I found the perfect spot for it, on the bear wall, behind the love seat.
"We" stained it, and attached it to the wall with wrought iron brackets.
It's very thick and rustic looking.
It has a thick bullnose edge and great wood grain.
I couldn't wait to put stuff on it accessorize it.

 Thanks Mike!


To see how we made the bear click HERE

May Days






22 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

FAbulous shelf. I love the wood grain and the stain you used. It really makes the wall. Great accessories too. Hugs, Marty

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

That shelf is AWESOME!! The best part is accesorizing of course!! Great job!
Stopping over from MM @ BNOTP.

bj said...

Oh, I am such a shelf girl...love shelves and this one is a REAL BEAUTY...I love it..and you put it in the PERFECT spot..Love how you accessorized it..Perfect!!

I am linking up to follow...hope you'll come by to see me soon.:)
xo bj

Anonymous said...

Oh, your shelf looks wonderful! It really finished off your wall and I really like how you've decorated it - the little candelabra is perfect!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Kathy said...

What a terrific find and creative use! It looks terrific!
Kathy

The Decorating Diaries said...

That really looks great. The wood and stain are beautiful.

Janet

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

your living room looks great just by adding a piece of wood as a shelf! great idea and looks beautiful too!

bj said...

G'morning, just back by to say THANK YOU for following me. I do appreciate it and now I am going to check out your recipe blog...ummm..
xo bj

MarytheKay said...

Beautiful piece of wood!! I love its rich color. It looks really great behind the couch!

Stopping by from BNOTP--thanks for letting me drop by! Happy Monday! :-)

Denise said...

Hello,My first visit to your blog.Beautiful photos.Please drop by for a visit with me.I'm a follower now.Thanks

Diann said...

Oh, the shelf looks terrific! As does all your accessories!

Jocelyn said...

Wow your shelf looks fabulous and adds so much character to the wall!

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

sweet violets said...

One cannot have enough shelves......nice job, looks great!!!....cleo

Dining Delight said...

Your new shelf really "makes" your wall - just what it needed! I like the pillar candle holders you have on it too!

DD

Biljana said...

Looks great, amazing:))
Hugs, Biljana

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Rita,
Nice to meet you here in blogland. Love that whole wall, it is just darling. Love the bear,
just so cute, clever and unique. The shelf came out dynamite and your did a great job of accessorizing it!! The trunks and churns look great with it as well. Very well done,
Thanks to your sweet son-in-law, what a great guy!!
Blessings, Nellie

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Fantastic shelf! What a great job you did and how lovely it looks in your family room. I love the stain color and it really makes the bear on the wall and the whole area so inviting!

So nice stopping by to visit with you!

Kindly, ldh

Debbiedoos said...

looks great...I love rustic style too. Looks so cozy!

Debbiedoos said...

I knew I had seen this project before...I love it. I just became a follower too. I saw you joined Kim's party.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love how that old piece of wood turned out. Nothing like using old wood instead of the new stuff. Love the bear. Thanks for joining the party.

Unknown said...

Your shelf looks great! I love projects with reclaimed wood. You did a great job sanding and smoothing it out. And the stain is fantastic!

Anonymous said...

That's a great looking shelf and I love how you've accessorized it too!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)